Sunday, November 23, 2008

I wonder why I'm so caught off guard when we kiss... I'd rather live my life in regret then do this///

Song of the day: Jimmy Eat World> Disintegration


I have thought long a hard what to write about my latest movie experience yesterday afternoon. I am lucky to have seen a lot of really good movies this year (Be Kind Rewind, Burn After Reading, Cloverfield, Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, Iron Man, Kung Fu Panda, Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express, The Dark Knight, Role Models). It helps that I have a great boyfriend who has good taste in music and movies. There have been some movies that I weren't too sure about which I ended up loving so much (like Burn After Reading), but still, the movies haven't been any lower then I expected. That was until yesterday.

I admit that I saw Twilight yesterday. The only reason why I got into the book was because of my co-worker, Sara. I love her to death. When she started to read the Twilight books (technically, I have only read book 1 and I am currently on New Moon, book 2), she told me how good they were and that I should give them a read sometime. Being that I was going to school with 2 hard classes at the time, I didn't have too much time to add another reading material to my ever growing list of books. I put it on the back burner of my world till about a month ago. I ended up dropping a real hard math class and had some time free to finally get to that book. I started it earlier this month and I managed to finish the book the day before the movie came out. Paul had promised me that he would see the movie with me if I had finished the book before the movie movie came out. I did win the bet, but I came to the conclusion that he wouldn't like to be stuck in a teenage movie for about 2 hours. I decided to go at it alone and have a day out to myself at the matinée showing. I figured that if I didn't like the movie, it would be better to spend $7 as apposed to $10 and having Paul not be into the movie as well.

My goodness. I wanted to like the movie so much and so badly. I couldn't do it. I figured that it wouldn't be as I imagined it because of its PG-13 rating... But it was just so bad on so many levels.

Things I hated/ were appalled by:

  • The cutting of important scenes and parts from the book. There was one part in which Edward tells Bella why he has been avoiding her, which happened over the course of few weeks and in the movie, it was like 2 days. The other scene I was upset about was at the end in which Edward takes Bella to the prom. In the book, Alice helps Bella get ready by doing her hair, letting her borrow her dress and heels... Oh yeah, that part was missing including her heel (she had a walking cast on her other foot) which was replaced by a freaking Converse Chuck Taylor.
  • Carlisle's history was completely left out!!!
  • The families history was left out too! Seriously.
  • The "animal" attacks never happened in the book (I think I would remember such an event as people being killed randomly) & totally threw me off track.
  • The acting was horrid. Oh my goodness, I know that the characters are young adults, but they could have put more feeling into their performance. Bella was so dry and dull, nothing like the book portrays her. Edward was too full of himself, which I understand is partly done to keep Bella away from him. The dad (Charlie Swan) was entertaining. He was a dull character too but he played a Dad who hasn't been in his child's life and the performance seemed to fit that ideal.
  • The soundtrack sucked. Of all the songs in the whole world, the list they presented the world was pathetic. I could come up with something better then what came out. I am so influenced by music, and there are others that could have been added that would have made a better impact then what actually was.
  • They spliced scenes and put them in different orders. In the book, Edward meets Bella's dad before he takes her to meet his family... In the movie, Edward takes her to meet the family first and then he meets Charlie.
  • The "special effects" were bad. Like painfully bad. The part with Edward running was funny for the wrong reasons. & the 'Meadow Scene' was a joke when Edward was 'glistening & sparkling'.
  • The following scenes lacked important info :La Push, The Cullen House, The Prom, The Hotel, The Airport, The Meadow, The Hospital.
  • One of the most important lines in the book was missing completely: When Alice says the following to Bella when James is coming after her:
It’s been almost a century that Edward’s been alone. Now he’s found you. You can’t see the changes that we see, we who have been with him for so long. Do you think any of us want to look into his eyes for the next hundred years if he loses you?"


Anyways, Other then that, I gave it a 2 of 5 "stars". It could have been so much better


In other news, I got my eyebrows waxed again @ Macy's, new nail polish @ Hot Topic (which I went in to see Nancy & bitch to her about the movie too) and new mascara (red) @ Ulta. I need to work on the speech for tomorrow. I know I will suck when I present it.

0 comments: